GDOT Awards Nearly $1.35B in FY 2020, Includes $33.2M in Construction Contracts in June
Tuesday, August 11th, 2020
In Fiscal Year 2020, the Georgia Department of Transportation awarded a total of 330 projects, valued at approximately $1.349 billion. This includes 299 projects valued at approximately $1.18 billion, of which three were Design Build projects totaling $142.6 million. The remaining 31 projects, worth approximately $169 million, were locally let.
The 330 awarded projects for FY 2020 by project type include:
189 maintenance projects, accounting for 57 percent of the awarded projects
The remaining 43 percent include 51 safety projects, 20 road projects, 51 bridge projects and 19 enhancement projects.
FY 2020 began on July 1, 2019 and ended on June 30, 2020.
In June, the last month of FY 2020, a total of 16 construction contracts were awarded for statewide transportation projects totaling $33,173,439.
The largest single investment, worth approximately $6.5 million, was awarded to C.W. Matthews Contracting Co., Inc. to resurface 10.47 miles along US 19/State Route 3 from north of Ernest W. Barrett Parkway to the Bartow County line in Cobb County.
The second largest contract, $5.7 million, was also awarded to C.W. Matthews Contracting Co., Inc. to resurface 9.08 miles along US 19/State Route 3 from north of State Route 54 to the Fulton County line in Clayton County.
These contracts, along with one other resurfacing contract, represent 46 percent or $15.4 million of the awarded funds. The remaining 54 percent, or $17.8 million, is allotted for safety, bridge rehabilitation and bridge construction projects at various locations throughout the state.
The department invested in 10 safety contracts, including four that add rumble strips to existing roadways in various counties throughout the state. Rumble strips are a road safety feature that alert distracted drivers who drift from the travel lane with a physical and audible vibration that is transmitted through the wheels and into the vehicle. Four other safety contracts will upgrade signing at various locations across the state.
In addition, and not included in the June award figures, GDOT deferred four contracts totaling $100.7 million. The department intends to award these projects in the future.
Award Announcement list (includes deferred projects). Bids for Design-Bid-Build projects were received on June 19 and contracts were awarded to the lowest qualified bidders on July 6. To view a list of lettings by year, please visit: https://www.bidx.com/ga/lettings.
Information on schedules, lane closures and detours will be available in advance of construction activities taking place.
Contractors and consultants including Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs), registered small businesses and veteran-owned small businesses interested in bidding on projects or performing work must prequalify with Georgia DOT. To learn more please visit: http://www.dot.ga.gov/PS/Business/Prequalification/PrequalContractors.